As a complement to the Retro Fashion Guide: Clothing, here’s a listing of retro make-up, hair, and accessory resources to complete the look. Note: Although donning full retro garb, hair and make-up may be tempting, be sure to dilute the look with something modern. Think Scarlett Johansson, Gwen Stefani, or Dita Von Teese on the red carpet–all retro-inspired looks that are still very today.
- Besame Cosmetics: Started in 2004 by Gabriela Hernandez, Besame Cosmetics is a high-quality line inspired by the pigments and packaging of the 1930s and 40s. The popular Enchanting Lipstick Set is pictured at left.
- ReVamp Vintage: Under Chapter VI (left side), find links to make-up guides for the 1920s & 1930s (no direct links).
- Short and sweet make-up guides to the 1920s, 1930s, & 1940s.
- Here’s a vintage make-up thread on The Fedora Lounge. Products from Besame, Benefit, and MAC received frequent mentions.
- ReVamp Hair: Under Chapter VI (left side), find links to hairstyling guides for the 1910s-1940s (no direct links).
- Hair Archives: A good resource, although the most useful section for DIYers is The Archives.
- Nocturne: The place for finger-wave and pin curl how-tos, among other things.