Not everyone wants spooky, Halloween-specific decorations. People who consider Halloween a one-day holiday and people with conflicting religious beliefs may prefer more neutral seasonal options. The following decoration ideas are dual purpose: suitable for Halloween without being restricted to it. They're also not scary, a bonus for households with small children and easily unnerved adults (ghastlier options will follow, of course).
Note: Almost of all of these are D.I.Y., and if you click on the link you'll get a recipe or tutorial.
Bronze & Gold Decorations
My favorite type of autumnal decoration uses and mixes warmer metallics, like bronze, gold, deep orange, even purple. It's a rich and elegant look. Credits row by row, from left:
- Golden harvest decorations from Country Living, gilded with Caromal Colours (photos by Joseph De Leo).
- Autumn Harvest ornament wreath (sold, similar items available) by Dottie Gray.
- Golden address pumpkins from Twig & Thistle.
- Golden pumpkins also from Country Living, gilded with Caromal Colours (via Dress Design Decor).
More Pumpkin Ideas
Here are some cute pumpkin imitators (and one squash & mini-pumpkin wreath):
- The Great Pumpkin Cake from A Merrier World.
- Pumpkin favor pouches from Martha Stewart.
- Pumpkin lanterns from Martha Stewart.
- Pumpkin patch cupcakes from Duncan Hines.
- Halloweegan stuffed peppers from Wing-It Vegan*
- Mini pumpkin wreath from Better Homes & Gardens.
*Okay, so the jack-o-lantern stuffed peppers are very Halloween. But it's cute, right?
Here are some fancy pumpkin ideas beyond the usual jack-o-lantern:
- Patterned pumpkins from…I don't know. I believe Country Living, as they have some very similar pumpkins. Argh! I lost the source and Google Image Search doesn't know either. Please comment if you do.
- Pretty painted pumpkins by Alisa Burke at I Love to Create.
- Plaid pumpkins from Real Simple.
- Leaf decoupage pumpkin from Better Homes & Gardens.
- White pumpkins by Herz-Allerliebst.
- Plaid pumpkins from Better Homes & Gardens.
- Pumpkin flower pots from Martha Stewart.
- Glitter pumpkins from Apartment Therapy.
- Polka dot pumpkin from Home Stories A2Z.
- Lace-patterned pumpkins from Martha Stewart.
- Mercury glass pumpkins from Pottery Barn (sold out; similar PB item here & possible D.I.Y. version here).
- Chevron carved pumpkin from Wit & Whistle.
- Modern pop art pumpkins from Happy Mundane.
- Argyle pumpkin from Max & Ellie.
- Argyle pumpkins from Country Sampler.
- Celestial pumpkins from Martha Stewart.
- Flame carved pumpkins from Better Homes & Gardens (click through for stencils).
- Fall tureen topper from Martha Stewart.
Candy Corn-Inspired Treats
You could argue candy corn is Halloween-only, but I think it's more "good until Thanksgiving." Because I don't think anyone would fault you if you brought that candy corn cheesecake to Thanksgiving dinner (I wouldn't).
- Candy corn sugar cookies from Kathie Cooks.
- White chocolate-dipped pretzel rods from Your Homebased Mom.
- Candy corn cupcakes from All Things Cupcake.
- Candy corn cheesecake from Wilton.
- White chocolate-covered pretzels from Baked Perfection.
- Candy corn pumpkins from Better Homes & Gardens.
Hope you found some inspiration! Up next is Halloween Week 2011: Arachnophobia Party Concept.