Happy Book Wednesday! Here’s a quick round-up of book-related links:
- I love graphic novels, but as a bookseller, I constantly encountered parents who didn’t consider graphic novels “real books,” or at least assumed that regular books, no matter how silly or poorly written, were better than any comics. Manga, in particular, got the side-eye. So I was happy to see two posts lauding graphic novels for kids, one by a former contributor to Cookie and the other by The Pioneer Woman.
- The British Library has a well-designed online exhibit called “Aspects of the Victorian Book.”
- Who doesn’t love Better Book Titles? Above are two recent favorite entries.
- I recently read Anne Fadiman’s Ex Libris, one of the best odes to reading ever written. She mentions her father, Clifton Fadiman, several times throughout the book, which is how I discovered Information Please, the witty & intellectual radio show he hosted in the 1930s & 40s.
- I’ve shared Cat Party’s obsession with old-fashioned Gothic romance covers since my Phyllis A. Whitney days.